- - news, features and articles for the meat processing industry

USDA Poultry Slaughter

26 September 2016

USDA Poultry Slaughter - August 2016USDA Poultry Slaughter - August 2016

Poultry Slaughter

Ready-to-Cook Weight Up 8 Percent from Last Year

August 2015 contained 21 weekdays (including 0 holidays) and 5 Saturdays.

August 2016 contained 23 weekdays (including 0 holidays) and 4 Saturdays.

Poultry certified wholesome during August 2016 (ready-to-cook weight) totaled a record 4.22 billion pounds, up 8 percent from the amount certified in August 2015. The July 2016 revised certified total at 3.78 billion pounds, was down 5 percent from July 2015. The July revision represented an increase of 8.49 million pounds from last month's preliminary pounds certified.

The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during August 2016 was a record 5.58 billion pounds, up 8 percent from 5.18 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled a record 4.81 billion pounds, up 6 percent from August 2015. Mature chickens, at 73.2 million pounds, were up 14 percent from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 673 million pounds, up 20 percent from a year ago. Ducks totaled 16.4 million pounds, up 11 percent from last year.

Young chickens slaughtered during August 2016 averaged 6.09 pounds per bird, down slightly from August 2015. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.86 pounds per bird, down 8 percent from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during August 2016 averaged 30.0 pounds per bird, up 3 percent from August 2015.

Ante-mortem condemnations during August 2016 totaled 14.5 million pounds. Condemnations were 0.26 percent of the live weight inspected, as compared with 0.24 percent a year earlier. Post-mortem condemnations, at 40.7 million pounds, were 0.95 percent of quantities inspected, as compared with 0.97 percent a year earlier.

Published by USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS)

DOWNLOAD REPORT:- Download this report here

Share This

Related Reports

Reports By Country

Reports By Category

Our Sponsors